New Book Covers, New Blog, and Thoughts on Christians & Secular Businesses

God Bless Texas


I have two thoughts today ... well, three. First, I hope I've set this up correctly where it will send automatically like before. If not, I will "try, try again." Second, as you can see from the above image, I've redesigned my "Cowboys of the Double R" book covers. This is a design I've been wanting to do for a year. I'm really pleased with them. You can check out Book 1, "God Bless Texas" at the above link.
 
Third, the article below I posted on social media last February, 2021, on this date, and it still speaks to me. We have a responsibility to be SALT and LIGHT amidst the chaos of the world. I hope it encourages you and gives you serious thought about our behavior as children of God in the secular marketplace, whether you are a reader or a writer.

Look for more fiction book posts as I get this up and running, but as always, my FICTION book address is www.feelgoodromance.com.

~~~~

I'm just going to put this out there as food for thought. Minister Bill Johnson once said salt was not meant to be in the corner of the plate but to be sprinkled evenly throughout the food. Along this same line, we do not wait to light a candle until the room is well-lit. That makes no sense. We light it in the darkness.

Now, the apostle Paul said, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1Cor 6:12)

These two thoughts speak to how we, Christ followers, use or if we use such secular businesses like social media and tech companies, even giants like Amazon and media such as YouTube or news channels or places like Disney. Frequently, Christians go on these spells to stop using a place of business in order to make a point, and I get it. There is occasionally a time to do so. But also, referring back to being salt and light, we are to stand out in our behavior.

For example, I cannot stop using Amazon. I am an author and they are a primary retailer. To shun them would put me out of business. On the other hand, they do not hold power over me, as Paul said. I can pull all my books and I am 100% confident God would provide for me. I am not under the power of what Amazon does or under the power of selling my books either.

Applying this further, I no longer use Amazon to give negative reviews. If you search under my name, you will find some, but note the date. They are old or for products that did not work properly and written to help purchasers. Need I point out again that Amazon is a secular business that does not promote godly principles? You are free to disagree with me but a person feeds into ungodliness by becoming like the image Amazon asks you to project. Their rating and review system was not set up by God.

Now, God can use it. Positive reviews are a good tool. Also, let's not be ignorant or assume everyone who works there, or at any other of the type of businesses I listed, are automatically out of the will of God. Don't go to either extreme. Instead, use good judgment.

For me personally, I do not ask for book reviews. That makes me responsible for what someone feels pressured to say. I'll go even further and say I don't check my book sales figures. If I am trusting God to provide, then checking constantly takes me out of faith. Now, this is a personal choice based on how my head works.

I trust in God alone. He is my source. I use all of these secular institutions to promote the gospel. I sprinkle my salt on Facebook and Twitter and Amazon and any other number of places that do not agree with my beliefs.

As the Bible says, "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Rm 10:14)

The gospel would not be spread if there were no Sean Feuchts or Mario Murillos in the world, if all the church did was cluster in the corner of the plate. I submit God wants us out of our pews and in the marketplace. He wants us to be Todd White, witnessing to waitresses and cruise ship employees with "Lifestyle Christianity" emblazoned on his chest.

Frankly, I haven't gotten there yet. But God grant me boldness to speak Thy name, that signs and wonders would be done in Jesus' name. On Amazon. At the corner store. Anywhere my life may touch and my behavior stand out to others who see Christ and nothing else.


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.feelgoodromance.com
www.suzannedwilliams.com

0 comments